I recently watched the documentary Cowspiracy, which opened my eyes to the addiction our world has on eating meat and how devestating it is to our planet earth. The degree with which farming harms our water supply, land, rain forests and air quality is alarming. We are addicted to meat, that’s the end of it. Our diet is so engrained with meat that we can’t fathom not having it throughout the day to soothe our spoiled taste buds. But at what cost?! I can’t look my two sweet babies in the eyes and tell them I love them, and then turn a blind eye to the fact that I’m directly contributing to the destruction of their future planet.
I can’t do it. So I won’t. It’s really that simple.
Today is the beginning of a hopefully healthier and more sustainable future for this family! I’m attempting to remove meat products from my diet, so as I go along I will share recipes that my family and I enjoy.
Lemon quinoa with roasted veggies and avocado
– one ripe avocado
– 4 carrots – chopped into chunks
– 2 celery stalks- chopped
– 1 small white onion – sliced large
– 1 red pepper – sliced large
– 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional if avoiding potential pea protein sensitivity)
– Two serving quinoa
– Olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tbsp. Earths best soy free butter
– 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
Time: prep 10 min – cook 25 min
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Chop all vegetables and lay in a single layer on baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle olive oil over vegetables and add salt and pepper.
3. Place in oven for 25 min on 425 degrees.
4. Cook quinoa per instructions.
5. Slice avocado while those cook and set aside.
6. Add butter and lemon juice to quinoa once finished cooking; stir.
7. Add veggies to quinoa when finished cooking and top with avocado.
8. Additional salt and pepper to taste.